[mythtv-users] Some notes on Google TV

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Nov 15 19:44:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Brad Templeton
<brad+myth at templetons.com<brad%2Bmyth at templetons.com>
> wrote:

> That's a bit of work.  While Android is linux based, android apps are JVM
> based, only  a very few blessed apps (like the web browser etc.) get to be
> in C.      So it means writing a frontend in a language that compiles to
> Java.    You aren't going to write your video playback in java, but I have
> to presume the GTV platform, which I have not examined, has APIs to stream
> videos in the GTV way (including their OSD stuff etc.)

That's not entirely correct. You can write apps in C on Android, you need
Java for the UI, but they provided an NDK for that. It's basically JNI. So
if you have a clean C library you can easily attach a Java UI to it with
those tools. It does lock you to the hardware, but as they are mostly ARM
right now, that's not so bad. And you could include JNI libraries for other
platforms if you needed to. I'm not sure it's really worth it, but if GTV
takes off, it might be a nice thing to have around. For myself, GTV doesn't
seem to offer anything I can't do with Myth, that I care about anyway. Some
of the streaming stuff is mildly interesting, but I get issues streaming on
my internet connection. I'd rather do downloads/recordings/rips.