[mythtv-users] Getting lots of jitter with version 0.24

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 21:06:02 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Kevin Ross <kevin at familyross.net> wrote:

> Unfortunately, no I haven't.  I haven't had time to try to diagnose the
> problem, so I've just been putting up with it.  I wonder how many other
> HD-PVR users are observing the same.

I've investigated this a little further, after having a couple
recordings take place. I only see the jitter in LiveTV on progressive
scan video, my recordings are fine. In fact, if I enter livetv, I
observe the jitter. If I then hit the record button, then play the
same recording from the recording list, the jitter is gone. I've
confirmed this in the logs as well as visually.
It looks like the framerate in LiveTV is being detected as 25fps, and
the display is set to match. But the video is actually 30fps and so
the display is at the wrong refresh rate. If I force the display rate
to 60Hz then it displays fine, of course 24fps content is wrong.
So, the question is, why does myth incorrectly detect the framerate of
progressive content in LiveTV only?
As a temporary workaround, I've removed the 50Hz modeline from
xorg.conf and the issue is fixed. Since I don't plan on watching any
PAL content, I don't think this should be a problem, but it would be
nice if it were fixed in the future.

--Justin Johnson