[mythtv-users] AC3 stero always decoded by myth in 0.24?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 13:15:25 UTC 2010

Hi

On 15 November 2010 00:05, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> I updated to 0.24-fixes via the packages for mythbuntu.  The upgrade
> went very smoothly, thankfully.  Way smoother than the 0,23 upgrade and
> it's database woes.
>
> In any case, one thing I did notice after doing the audio device scan
> and choosing the HDMI device is that 2ch AC3 no longer goes to my
> receiver (which is digitally connected to my TV, which is HDMI connected
> to my mythfrontend machine) as AC3.  Something that has more than 2
> channels will be sent to my receiver as AC3 though.
>
> Is this intentional?

If you have selected upmix to 5.1 ; then yes..

decoded (or upmixed) multi-channels audio isn't re-encoded back to AC3 if
your system supports multi-channels PCM as it doesn't add anything (quite
the opposite being a lossy conversion) and reduce the CPU overhead.

If you want stereo AC3 to be sent as-is, turn off upmixing.

Passthrough however, will still work as usual