[mythtv-users] Need help to setup iMON remote and VFD on Fedora 14

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Nov 12 22:53:29 UTC 2010

On Nov 12, 2010, at 2:54 PM, Andrew Junev wrote:

> Hello Jarod,
>
> Friday, November 12, 2010, 7:15:42 PM, you wrote:
>
>>> P.S. Is it Ok that 'irw' doesn't show anything as well, even for the
>>> codes known by the driver?
>
>> No, irw should report all the known keys, so things must not actually
>> be entirely correct w/your config setup. Actually, now that I think
>> about it... You have lircd pointed at the -event-mouse by-id symlink,
>> but I think there's another symlink that should be in there, and its
>> the one you actually want here.
>

> Ah, bingo! I changed the device to /dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0038-event-if00
> and now I can see with irw the buttons I press! Great!!!
> Thanks a lot!!!

Cool.

> Can you advice me about VFD as well? I'd like to get it to work
> with lcdproc. I have the following configuration for imon module:
>
> options imon display_type=1

From the driver:

        /* SoundGraph iMON OEM LCD (IR & LCD) */
        { USB_DEVICE(0x15c2, 0x0038) },

Pretty sure that's an LCD, not a VFD. Generally, overriding the
display_type is a Bad Idea, unless you're 100% positive the
driver is getting it wrong. But every single 0x0038 device I've
seen to date is an LCD, not a VFD.

> I can see the device /dev/lcd0 is created.
> But I don't see anything on the VFD screen even when I run:
>
> echo Hello > /dev/lcd0
>
> Do you have an idea on how to move forward with this one?

That won't work for LCD devices, only the VFD devices. There's
some perl hex-encodding magic you can use to achieve a similar
effect, but I don't recall what it is offhand.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com