[mythtv-users] Can't scan fir audio devices in new .24 install

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 02:14:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 November 2010 12:36, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The crash happens when I try to scan for audio devices.  When I don't,
>
> Yes, I understand that...
>

>> I can't hear audio (which I guess is the expected result).  I will see
>> if I can figure out how to do a backtrace and post that to track.
>
> You can't hear audio for content that will do digital passthrough.
>
> Either disable digital passthrough, or use a device like ALSA:spdif,
> ALSA:hdmi or ALSA:iec958
>
> You can manually enter those values in. Those are devices supporting
> digital passthrough. ALSA:default doesn't. If it worked before, it was
> a coincidence ...

It worked before (although I did have some issues where I would get no
audio and have to restart it; perhaps that is related).  I have
changed it to ALSA:iec958.  I still get the issues of sometimes it not
playing audio and having to restart myth.  Nevertheless, if I keep it
with that setting in .24 (I have downgraded to .23.1), will I not need
to scan for audio devices, which seems to be a show-stopper for me?