[mythtv-users] Deleted recording - no disk space returned

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 22:34:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>  On 11/11/2010 02:02 PM, E. Westbrook wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 08:18, Steve Netting wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if this will help you, but on my box in the contrib
>>> directory
>>> there's script called myth.find_orphans.pl which will cross reference the
>>> DB and storage and optionally remove any orphaned files.
>>>
>>> On my box the path is:-
>>>
>>> /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/myth.find_orphans.pl
>>
>> I do know I have a bunch of orphaned files and/or database entries.
>> However, I noticed that this script wasn't in my 0.24-fixes contrib
>> directory, and I went off to find out why.
>>
>> Turns out, according to the wiki and the thread referenced there, that the
>> script is deprecated and not recommended anymore.
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth.find_orphans.pl
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/425156#425156
>>
>> Just thought I'd point it out lest anyone go blindly down that path.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py is the supported script.
>
> It's purely informational (and, therefore, can not corrupt your database or
> delete all your recordings if you don't use it properly--things that
> happened with the old scripts) and requires that you do (and, therefore,
> agree to) the final cleanup.  So, for example, you would delete recordings
> with missing files using mythfrontend's Watch/Delete Recordings screen; or
> you would rm or mv video (or other) files with no recording metadata
> (usually move the video files into MythVideo, and potentially use Previously
> Recorded to allow the episode to re-record).

Looks promising, but I get:

nick at media:~$ ./find_orphans.py
2010-11-12 11:32:43.098 Python Database Connection: Using connection
settings from /home/nick/.mythtv/config.xml
2010-11-12 11:32:43.115 Python Database Connection: Using connection
settings from /home/nick/.mythtv/config.xml
2010-11-12 11:32:43.116 Python Database Connection: Using connection
settings from /home/nick/.mythtv/config.xml
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./find_orphans.py", line 145, in <module>
    main()
  File "./find_orphans.py", line 41, in main
    with db as c:
AttributeError: 'MythDB' object has no attribute '__exit__'

Am I missing something?