[mythtv-users] MythVideo browsing without pre-searching?

Nick t32 at 2thebatcave.com
Thu Nov 11 03:45:39 UTC 2010

I'm trying to get Myth Video to just browse through a folder structure
like a regular file browser.  Is that possible?  It seems like no
matter what I do, it needs to search first and presumably create some
metadata first.

The reason I can't have it scanning through the file structure first,
is that it takes some insane amount of time to do so (haven't gotten
it to even complete yet).  I am running PlayOn in a windows VM, and
djmount to get it into a usable filesystem I can use on my Linux box.
PlayOn is very slow pulling up directory listings, as it needs to make
several requests out to the net to do so.  And now with PlayOn
supporting so many streaming services, there is even more to search
through.  I think it would be a pretty nice setup to be able to stream
netflix/hulu/amazon/etc on my myth box, if I could only get this
working.

Alternatively, if someone knows another basic file browser with lirc
support which I could use to launch a media player, I may be able to
just use that.  Right now the only thing I'm using Myth for a file
browser anyway (although I'd like to use more of it later).

If it matters, I'm running the fedora 12 myth packages, which are
currently at 0.23.1.