[mythtv-users] X Not Starting - NVIDIA 260.19.12 driver upgrade

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Wed Nov 10 11:55:27 UTC 2010

tortise wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 11:07 p.m., belcampo wrote:
>  >> :~$ modprobe nvidia-current
>  >> FATAL: Error inserting nvidia_current
> (/lib/modules/2.6.32-25-generic-pae/updates/dkms/nvidia-current.ko):
> Operation not permitted
>
>>> I'm not sure that I need the sudo in front for our purposes,
>>> especailly as the problem was fixed with sudo dpkg-reconfigure
>>> nvidia-current
>> Yes you need sudo
>
> To do what though?  I don't think I need it to fix anything, so what
> does the default "modprobe nvidia-current" do?  man modprobe is not
> clear to me what modprobe does without a switch added?
modprobe is a command NOT intended for a 'normal' user. You have to be
root/administrator of the system to be able to use that command, else
you'll get 'permission denied'
sudo is a temporary way of becoming a SuperUser, root/administrator of
the system. If you are not in the 'sudoers-list' it won't work.
The you have to do
su <enter>
pass the password of root <enter>
modprobe ..... <enter>