[mythtv-users] (no subject)

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 11:39:33 UTC 2010

I don't agree that sony and phillips have been doing solutions like this.

We are talking about moving the entire osd onto a remote tablet. It would
need to be a compromise in fact depending on whether there are other people
around to look at what's on and whether choosing what to watch is a social
interaction or a single persons choice.

I don't think that a phone is the right device either. Something a little
larger like a nokia n8xx or n900, a dell streak or something bigger like an
ipad is really going to be needed to make this work.

The user should ideally be able to move playback from the tv to the "tablet
remote" walk into a different room and move it to the tv in that room in a
pretty seamless manner.... a bit like linuxmce manages with mythtv and
bluetooth proximity.

Anyway these are just my opinions and it is obviously a huge amount of
work...

On 10 Nov 2010 04:29, "Greg Oliver" <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at ...
Sony and Phillips have been doing this for quite a while.  Maybe
others?  Not graphics per se, but 2-way comms..

> 2) A truly dynamic interface - I think MythMote on my iPod changes its
> available control button...
The only thing I can instantly think of that would probably gain
instant traction is to make a touch-screen remote have feelable
buttons.

I have several high end remotes that will almost wash the dishes if I
tell them to, but honestly I prefer the cheaper reomtes with buttons.
Having no touch feedback on a touchscreen remote is a huge drawback.
Granted, I can do much more sophisticated things with them, but for
usual TV items, I will always grab a remote with buttons over a remote
with a touchscreen.

> 4) A nice front-end to a web interface that makes scheduling recordings or
> setting up playlists...
It is already possible.

> 5) Use of the existing technology - Why isn't there a bluetooth proximity
> detector? Pause the s...
There are a lot of thees already.  Search for voip and bluetooth..
The same techniques can be applied...

> I haven't paid much attention to Google TV yet. I'm heavily invested in
> MythTV and Boxee (My Bo...
I think everything you described is possible with today's feature sets.

ht...