[mythtv-users] 0.24 streaming recording from slave backend.. broken?

Glen Dragon gdragon at jetcom.org
Wed Nov 10 04:48:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Glen Dragon <gdragon at jetcom.org> wrote:

> Is anyone out there actively using a slave backend that is streaming from
> it?  I know this is a less common setup.. but it seems unlikely that I would
> be the first to report it, so i'm wondering if something else is going on
> with my setup.
> It does not seem to be working with .24.  This seems to be a regression, as
> it used to work with .23
>
> Setup:
> Master backend with lots of storage, and several tuners.
> Multiple frontends (ion boxen)
> Slave backend with hdpvr connected over wifi - 802.11 g. It has it own
> limited storage.  Connection is pretty decent, can rsync file at ~1.1
> MB/sec
>
> Typically, after a recording is complete, I have a user job to run a python
> script to copy the recording to the master backend.. but streaming the file
> did generally work over the myth protocol (unless I happening to be using
> the microwave at the same time).
>
> Since I hadn't fixed my script to use the .24 bindings,  I was trying to
> watch some recordings last weekend, and discovered that this didn't work
> anymore.
>
> I had a theory that it was timing out, due to the higher latency wifi
> connection, and that a timeout changed with .24, Well I changed one timeout
> that was set for 2000 ms to 9000ms, and it made no difference.  As it seems
> to fail the connection after 3 seconds in the log.
>
> Frontend, trying to watch recording:
> http://pastebin.com/f20EFzTt
>
> Slave backend, with hosting file:
> http://pastebin.com/SauRX2w2
>
> Anyone using streaming protocol w/ 0.24.  Is this a problem with my setup
> that has crept in, or new bug?
>
> Thanks
> --Glen Dragon

I figured it out..    It had nothing to do with the wifi connection to the
slave.
It turns out that the Slave Backend, no longer had a static IP address, and
the server configuration had the wrong IP address configured.  It's odd
however that quite a few things worked, including status, scheduling
recordings, and the preview generator.
It might not be bad to add the debug to print out strerror rather than the
unhelpful "Unknown" error, which once I added it, clearly said "No Route to
Host".

--Glen