[mythtv-users] HD black bars on top and bottom of screen

Omari Norman omari at smileystation.com
Wed Nov 10 03:03:35 UTC 2010

I have a Motorola cable box and am pulling the content into Myth via
Firewire. When I am in the MythTV menus and program guide, Myth
completely fills up the screen. But when I am watching HD TV channels, I
am getting black bands at the top and bottom of the screen. Apparently
Myth is putting these bands in, because somewhere there is a setting
that makes these bands turn grey, and now they are grey.

I have a 16:9 HDTV.

These same HD channels completely fill up the screen, without black
bands, when I use the cable box's component outputs.

I have tried adjusting the fill and the aspect ratio, but these either
do nothing or end up distorting the video a lot. How can I get rid of
these bands? Thanks. --Omari