[mythtv-users] Is the Acer Revo still the best frontend?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Nov 9 18:41:53 UTC 2010

On 11/9/2010 13:32, Matt Emmott wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com
> <mailto:raymond at wagnerrp.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/9/2010 11:01, Matt Emmott wrote:
>>

>>     On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Justin Kim <justinlkim at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:justinlkim at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Were you having problems with the Mini running OS X or Linux?
>>          I just replaced an old Core Duo (note the missing "2") Mini
>>         that could handle most anything I threw at it under OS X.
>>

>>      Did you run H.264 on your mini?
>
>     What does that even mean?  H.264 is just a codec, and the decoders
>     in ffmpeg should be able to handle it on anything i586 spec or
>     newer.  Provided sufficiently low complexity, you can play H.264
>     video on an old Pentium Pro.  You have to give a source.  H.264
>     from DVB recordings.  H.264 from HDPVR recordings.  H.264 from
>     BluRay discs.
>

> I had thought that within the context of the discussion, no more
> specifics were needed. What I meant was, "Do you run H.264-encoded
> MythTV recordings on your mini?" On my Core Duo Mac I cannot run
> H.264-encoded recordings from  my HD-PVR, nor can I run H.264-encoded
> MKVs from Blu-Ray rips.

The 1.83GHz Core Duo on the iMac should manage around 8mbps
single-sliced (from the HDPVR) or 16mbps multi-sliced (from DVB).
Straight BluRay playback is certainly out of its reach, but it should
handle recorded content decently enough.  It's certainly not ideal, but
it's probably still twice as powerful as any Atom you can buy.