[mythtv-users] Is the Acer Revo still the best frontend?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Nov 9 17:56:38 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 12:20:09PM -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/9/2010 11:01, Matt Emmott wrote:
> >

> >On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Justin Kim <justinlkim at gmail.com
> ><mailto:justinlkim at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >    At 7:47 AM -0600 11/9/10, jedi wrote:
> >
> >        On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 12:08:58AM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> >

> >             See also: Apple Mac Mini.
> >

> >          Tried that. It wasn't very satisfying. Flash seems to want a
> >        CPU that can
> >        handle HD h264 easily on a single core. It doesn't seem to
> >        multithread very
> >        well. Although it can multithread well enough to use up every
> >        spare cycle on
> >        every core you happen to have.
> >

> >    Were you having problems with the Mini running OS X or Linux?  I
> >    just replaced an old Core Duo (note the missing "2") Mini that
> >    could handle most anything I threw at it under OS X.
> >

> > Did you run H.264 on your mini?
>
> What does that even mean?  H.264 is just a codec, and the decoders

    My comments specifically addressed Flash. I figure this is what most
people are talking about when they speak of video that is not accelerated
by the GPU. Just quickly throwing something together with Win7 and a 1.83Ghz
nv mini still generated results that were inferior to Linux running a suitably
fast processor.

    If there is any doubt about acceleration, get really fast cores.

> in ffmpeg should be able to handle it on anything i586 spec or
> newer.  Provided sufficiently low complexity, you can play H.264
> video on an old Pentium Pro.  You have to give a source.  H.264 from
> DVB recordings.  H.264 from HDPVR recordings.  H.264 from BluRay
> discs.

    I would put Flash at the end of that list. It can suck the life out
of a machine and stutter like nothing else.