[mythtv-users] Gradual frontend slowdowns, Was: Is it worth while to stop/start mythtv nightly?)

James Thorpe james at pawsforthorpe.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 08:46:46 UTC 2010

On 08/11/2010 20:08, Robert Longbottom wrote:
> On 08/11/2010 13:06, David Asher wrote:
>> I have a nearly identical setup hardware-wise, but I'm running
>> Mythbuntu 9.04 using PXE boot and no swap.  I've had to have a
>> cron.daily job kill my frontend every day @ 4am (it auto restarts via
>> a script upon exiting).  If I don't do this mythfrontend's virtual
>> size grows too large to spawn the gnome-screensaver --poke command
>> and eventually the screen goes blank and stays blank.  I'm running
>> mostly up-to-date 23-fixes with the Mythbuntu theme.
>>
> I see this too with Mythtv-0.23-fixes on Gentoo.  Over time
> mythfrontend memory usage grows, making the frontend slower and
> slower.  Eventually it usually crashes if I'm patient and leave it, or
> I restart it.  Seems to vary how long it takes to get to an unusable
> state.  I've never put any effort into trying to find out why though.

Ok, so it seems it's not just me then, and looks like it'll be
worthwhile trying to find out what's going on for the benefit of
others.  I'm not really an expert in these manners, but am quite happy
to try to debug where I can.  Bearing in mind that when this happens,
its generally because other people in the house are trying to watch
stuff so ideally I need to gather information quickly before restarting
again.  What would be the most beneficial steps to take in this
situation?  Should I run the frontend with a different set of logs
enabled to the default etc?  Or should I do what I keep doing and wait
until I upgrade to 0.24 to see if it even still happens?

Thanks,
James.