[mythtv-users] Is the Acer Revo still the best frontend?

Charles Wright cpwright at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 04:25:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Sorry for yet another "best" frontend thread.  Just wondering if the
> Acer Aspire Revo 1600 is still an awesome frontend or has it been
> surpassed by the later model or something else?  Most of my content is
> SD, going HD eventually and I hear that the Acer Aspire Revo 1600 will
> play all the HD content, so it will easily handle the SD stuff.
>
> It looks like you can still pick it up for 200 bucks, are there better
> options out there that's still around the same price point?
I've got a Revo now, and for the Myth recorded content it is fine.
The FE is much snappier in Mythbuntu 10.10 than 9.10, so I think CPU
is less of an issue than it was for me a while when I first got the
Revo.

Unfortunately, you can't run VMware on it (so no Netflix); and it
doesn't do flash well.

If there were another system in a similar form factor that I can hide
behind my television (the Revo is just zip tied to the TV bracket),
but with enough CPU to do Flash and have the appropriate
virtualization extensions; I would personally consider replacing my
Revo.

Charles