[mythtv-users] Nvidia 260 yuv gives better image quality

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Mon Nov 8 17:41:37 UTC 2010

On 11/8/2010 7:35 AM, Andre wrote:
> Of course as I'm a broadcast engineer I notice these things (can't not notice them actually) and most people probably wouldn't see it or care but I know there are some people on here who care about the finest details so I thought it worth a mention.

I care, too.  I'm an ex-TV repairman-turned electrical engineer and
long-time audiophile/videophile.  I very much appreciate a good picture
and have been highly disappointed with Nvidia (although less
disappointed with them than with ATI).  When I first built by media
center and bought the first 1080p LCD that showed up in our local
outlets that was small enough for our little house (Mitsubishi LT-3780),
I connected it to my single core AMD 3200+ with Nvidia 5200 video card
through the analog 15-pin D-sub on the TV and started recording high def
shows.  Lots of bugs back then but it worked for the most part and
playback video quality was great (picture adjustments via video overlay
helped, too!).  Then Nvidia "upgraded" their video driver and dropped
video overlay support.  They also dropped the video playback quality and
I started noticing blocky low light scenes.  I also had trouble with
maxed-out CPU on the old single core.  Many upgrades (and video card
attempts) later, I finally got a decent picture again with VDPAU.
Unfortunately that's been broken, recently, too.  I guess they figure
that most folks wont notice and cut corners (or just introduce crappy,
buggy code).  I keep assuming that one day I'll get everything working
and never have to change it again.  (Ha, ha, ha......)!

Dave D.