[mythtv-users] Nvidia 260 yuv gives better image quality

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Nov 8 16:49:25 UTC 2010

On 8 Nov 2010, at 16:00, Paul Gardiner wrote:

> On 08/11/2010 15:35, Andre wrote:
>> Of course as I'm a broadcast engineer I notice these things (can't not notice them actually) and most people probably wouldn't see it or care but I know there are some people on here who care about the finest details so I thought it worth a mention.
>
> I care. :-)

I thought I might elicit a response from you, well I hope?

> I had a colour cast on dark areas of walls and faces, which appeared
> from my Myth FE, and my Blu-ray player alike.  Drove me nuts, until
> I sold my brand new Panasonic TX-P50G20 (at a £500 loss) and bought
> an 18month old Pioneer LX5090. That fixed it. :-)

And if you had bought the LCD you originally planned to it would have been sold to buy the Panasonic and then still the Pioneer...

On ye olde CRT sets such things were fixed in 20 seconds with a tweaking stick, now it's a design issue  requiring a whole new TV!

The whole point of using YUV in the broadcast chain is so that small discrepancies in level (during conversions or analogue paths) are not very noticeable as they don't cause a colour cast like an RGB path does.

Andre