[mythtv-users] X Not Starting - NVIDIA 260.19.12 driver upgrade

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 14:37:28 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM, tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> On 8/11/2010 5:09 p.m., Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 4:24 PM, tortise<tortise at paradise.net.nz>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Yesterday I upgraded my boxes from 23 to 23.1 along with all the usual
>>> updates.  I note the other 3G Pentium (and all C2D's) upgraded to
>>> 260.19.12
>>> and brought through the xorg.conf settings fine.
>>>
>>> The second upgraded Pentium 3000 now fails to start X, no matter what I
>>> do.
>>>  I've edited the xorg.conf settings, run nvidia-xconfig (and written a
>>> "clean" new xorg.conf) and also deleted the nouveau component that was
>>> showing under synaptic.  X still won't start. (The other boxes are
>>> running
>>> 260.19.12 fine.)
>>>
>>> Both Intel 3000's are running
>>> 2.6.32-25-generic-pae #45-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 16 21:01:33 UTC 2010 i686
>>> GNU/Linux
>>> Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
>>> although the good one is using an ASUS motherboard and the not so good
>>> one
>>> is Gigabyte.  (= Different kit)
>>>
>>> Any ideas what now?
>>
>> yes, read /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>>

> Sorry, I had intended to paste this in too:
>
> /var/log/gdm/:0.log
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
>        compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> FATAL: Module nvidia not found.
> (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
> (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages.
> (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
> (EE) No drivers available.

This may be a known problem on Fedora that is now hitting Ubuntu:

The nouveau driver loads in the initial ram disk which prevents the
nvidia module from loading. If that is indeed the case then you need
to blacklist it in your /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/modprobe.d/
whichever applies. However that will not remove it from your initrd.
You can either rebuild it (the rebuild process should honor any
blacklisted modules) or add "rdblacklist=nouveau" to your kernel
parameters in grub.

HTH,

Richard