[mythtv-users] X Not Starting - NVIDIA 260.19.12 driver upgrade

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Mon Nov 8 03:24:03 UTC 2010

Yesterday I upgraded my boxes from 23 to 23.1 along with all the usual
updates.  I note the other 3G Pentium (and all C2D's) upgraded to
260.19.12 and brought through the xorg.conf settings fine.

The second upgraded Pentium 3000 now fails to start X, no matter what I
do.  I've edited the xorg.conf settings, run nvidia-xconfig (and written
a "clean" new xorg.conf) and also deleted the nouveau component that was
showing under synaptic.  X still won't start. (The other boxes are
running 260.19.12 fine.)

Both Intel 3000's are running
2.6.32-25-generic-pae #45-Ubuntu SMP Sat Oct 16 21:01:33 UTC 2010 i686
GNU/Linux
Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
although the good one is using an ASUS motherboard and the not so good
one is Gigabyte.  (= Different kit)

Any ideas what now?  I see other people have had similar problems and
downgraded their kernels or to older nvidia drivers.  I'd be happy to
downgrade to say 256.53 as I think that was working fine.  How do I get
it going or downgrade it under mythbuntu?  (When synaptic does not show
256 as an option)