[mythtv-users] Slight stutter on playback, 0.23 on ION 330HT

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sun Nov 7 23:34:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Keith Edmunds <kae at midnighthax.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 09:00:05 +1100, mythtv at theseekerr.com said:
>
>> Hardly a fix, though, since using CPU++ on an Atom in place of VDPAU
>> will prevent you from playing back most HD content
>
> I'd like to get to the bottom of this as, ultimately, I want to be able to
> play back HD content with subtitles, and VDPAU would seem to be the
> optimal way to do so. I also want to run at 1920x1080, so the suggestion
> of a lesser resolution isn't really the answer (although I appreciate the
> suggestion).
>
> I've run the vdpautest tool, results below. What I'm trying to determine
> is:
>
> a) am I expecting too much from the ION330HT platform or
> b) is this a restriction of the current nVidia drivers?
>
> I suspect (a), but it would be nice to have some confirmation.

I have two Ion frontends, both Acer Revo's - one with the old
single-core Atom N230 and 2GB of RAM, and one with the dual-core Atom
N330 with 4GB of RAM.

Both drive TV's  using HDMI at 1920x1080 using the VDPAU Normal
profile. No stuttering on interlaced HD MPEG2 (1080i), progressive HD
MPEG2 (720p) or progressive HD H.264 (1080p and 720p).

I make a point of recording sports from SD sources so as to use the
nicer Advanced 2x deinterlacing algorithm - here in Australia, our HD
channels mostly broadcast upscaled SD anyway, but for the rare
sporting event broadcast in HD, temporal smoothness is more important
to me than spatial resolution.

So, upshot is: It really SHOULD work.

- Chris