[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 10.10 lost LIRC support

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Nov 7 13:56:43 UTC 2010

On Nov 7, 2010, at 12:41 AM, Her Him wrote:

> Recently subscribed to this list after reading the thread off of Gossamer about lirc support in 10.10.  I had some luck after running lsmod and finding that the module name had changed since lirc had been merged into the kernel, however I'm still having some trouble.  Now lirc starts fine and irw recognises the remote key presses however some keys are very sporadic only working say once out of 10 times.  I read Jared's blog at http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=95 and found it very interesting and enlightening and followed some of the tips in one of the links contained in it about removing a potential HAL conflict http://lirc.org/html/devinput.html even though I wasn't getting any errors in syslog about conflicts.  So I'm just hoping that someone has some ideas about what it may take to fix this issue. I'm using an MCEUSB running 64 bit build of Ubuntu 10.10 with lircd 0.8.7-pre3.

I'd suggest not to use devinput for mceusb devices if you want to use them with lirc right now. Start the Ubuntu lirc initscript, and it will disable in-kernel decode, and only pass the raw IR data along to lircd via /dev/lirc0.

If after that change, something still isn't working quite right, its possible there's a bug in the now-rather-old version of the mceusb driver shipped in Ubuntu. I did have to fix a few buffer parsing issues at some point that affected certain mceusb device and remote combos, but the current mceusb driver from the latest upstream tree works perfectly with all five mceusb devices in my possession.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com