[mythtv-users] Oh Boy! "Compatibility Mode" Ubuntu to move away from X

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat Nov 6 12:46:41 UTC 2010

Oh goodie.  Distro wars, complete with FUD and hyperbole.

On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 16:04 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> I didn't mean to say that, I meant that they take more than they give,

Of course they do.  Everyone in the Linux distro community does.  It's
the nature of the beast.  Everyone gives a part and takes the total sum
of what everyone else produces.  It's just math.

> and could probably give more without too much
> effort.

So you have some insight into Ubuntu's inner workings -- planning and
manpower distribution, etc?  I mean how else would you know how much
effort they would expend to give more?  Have you ever worked for a
distro or participated in producing a distro, maintaining some packages
or developing some from scratch?

> But they suffer from "do it our way" syndrome.

Of course they do.  Every distro does.  Every distro has a vision of how
users will want to work and tune their distro to that vision.  In fact
this is how almost everything in the world is produced.  Somebody has a
vision of how people will do something and produces something in that
effort.  Not everyone agrees with everyone else.

This is why there are many distros.  Choose the one that most closely
fits your way of doing things.  If that's not Ubuntu, fair enough.  But
don't deride them because they chose a vision different from yours.  How
many distros actually fit your vision?  Are all the rest "crap" simply
because they don't share your vision?

> For example, KDE users seem to get short shrift,

I am certainly no Ubuntu "insider" but AFAIU, Gnome is Ubuntu's primary
focus, so if KDE users are getting "short shrift" that's not entirely
surprising.  If that's how you feel, choose another distro -- one that
prefers and concentrates effort on KDE.

It's really not fair to go to a motorcycle company and buy a motorcycle
and then complain about how much it's not like a car.

> and more than once a
> complaint has been answered with "You should use Gnome".

Maybe because that's where their effort is being spent and where the
interface is cleaner.  Probably the right answer there should have been
"You should use [distro] xyz".

> But this is way OT.

Sure it is, but some of your statements needed comment.

b.