[mythtv-users] Myth TV on server

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sat Nov 6 11:55:17 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Mark <renegade8040 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> PCI-X is 66MHz 64bit PCI, IIRC.  So yes, you should be able to use
>> PVR-x50.  However if you intend to do HD captures, you are down to
>> using either the HD Homerun (connects via ethernet) or the HD-PVR
>> (USB).  Almost all current capture cards are PCI-E.
>>
> The HD-PVR looks like a nice option for me.  I will have to get a usb 2.0
> pci adapter card though, since it only has usb 1.1 currently.

Just a couple of points not yet considered:

  1. Unlike most other capture methods, the HD-PVR can't do closed
captions.  You might not need that, but I thought you should know.  My
wife likes to turn them on when the kids are getting loud so no CC
means lower WAF.

  2. There should be another option on the market soon, the HD-Homerun
Prime, which takes a cable card and can record encrypted cable if
marked as "copy freely".  It's supposed to be out "sometime this
year", but isn't available for sale today.  It will have an MSRP of
$250 and has three tuners in it, so you could record three (or more
with multiplexing) shows simultaneously with this, compared to just
one on the HD-PVR.

Eric