[mythtv-users] Oh Boy! "Compatibility Mode" Ubuntu to move away from X

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Nov 6 02:38:14 UTC 2010

On Nov 5, 2010, at 6:04 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
<...wayland...>
> I was just concerned that what I saw on /. might have a negative impact on Myth, but I'm no longer concerned abut that.

Honestly, I have 100% the opposite reaction, partially because I know the main guy behind Wayland (Kristian Hoegsberg, formerly a co-worker at Red Hat, now with Intel), and talked to him about it some just yesterday at the Linux Plumbers Conference, in addition to attending a talk given by Keith Packard about the direction Linux Graphics is headed, which also touched on Wayland and how UTTERLY CRAPPY the X Server is for modern computers and graphics cards.

MythTV is already moving in a direction where good OpenGL support will be a requirement for any myth box's video card, and Wayland is all about OpenGL, more direct access to GPUs, etc., and based on the diagrams for how many layers of crap one must wade through to get from X to the GPU, it will be FAR better when Wayland lands, and significantly easier to have applications that can utilize the windowing system's native OpenGL features, rather than having to reinvent the wheel.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com