[mythtv-users] How to patch LIRC for HD-PVR150

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sat Nov 6 02:28:28 UTC 2010

On Nov 5, 2010, at 10:24 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Jeff Cranmer <jeff at lotussevencars.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 20:28 -0500, Greg Oliver wrote:
>>
>>> They are all the same device.  Some remotes/transceivers have
>>> more/less buttons.  This lircd.conf for the remotes pretty much just
>>> covers all of the bases for the *mce* family.  They all refer to the
>>> same mceusb transceiver/remote.
>>>
>> Thanks - learning all the time here :-)
>>
>>> try irsend with -d
>>>
>>> irsend -d /var/run/lirc/lircd LIST "" ""
>>>
>> Same empty response.
>> Also the same response with irsend -d /dev/lircd LIST "" ""
>>
>> When I try irsend -d /dev/lirc0 LIST "" ""
>> I get
>> irsend: could not connect to socket
>> irsend: connection refused.
>>
>> /dev/lirc0 is the actual mceusb device address.  I just checked,
>> and /dev/lircd is a symlink to /var/run/lirc/lircd
>>
>>> I am not sure where your lirc install points though (I deleted the
>>> older parts of the thread already)..  You can try that, or failing
>>> that, post your lirc init scripts and we can figure it out from there.
>>>  Once you get the LIST command returning results, the rest is pretty
>>> quick to complete.
>>>
>> Which lirc init scripts are you referring to?
>> /etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf is almost empty of uncommented lines.
>> The only lines that are not commented out are
>> options lirc_dev debug=0
>> options lirc_mceusb debug=0
>>
>> Am I missing some important init scripts?
>
> Hmmm, ok.  output from "ps awwx | grep lirc", "cat /etc/init.d/lircd"
> and "lsusb"
>
>>> Did you restart lircd after you added the remote by chance?  It
>>> probably at a minimum needs a HUP sent to it, or easier just restart
>>> the whole service.
>>>
>> I ran /etc/init.d/lircd restart, which I believe restarts the whole
>> lircd service.
>
> That's the init script I am referring to.  It appears either the
> transceiver is not supported for blasting, or somehow the lirc sockets
> are not working properly.  We will probably have to end up turning
> debugs back on for lirc_mceusb, so go ahead and change the 0 to a 1 in
> your /etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf for the mceusb entry, and the run
> "depmod -a".  Stop the lircd service and "rmmod lirc_mceusb" and then
> restart the lircd service.
>
> After all of this, try an irsend again, and paste any relevant linces
> from "dmesg" related to the mce_usb module.

In shell #1:
/etc/init.d/lircd stop
lircd -n -d /dev/lirc0

This might be enough to reveal what's up.

In shell #2:
irsend SEND_ONCE foo bar

This should definitely trigger some lircd spew if the initial command didn't.

I suspect you have an error in the way you merged the additional remote's config into /etc/lirc/lircd.conf, and lircd is barfing on it, but not enough such that its actually exiting...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com