[mythtv-users] Oh Boy! "Compatibility Mode" Ubuntu to move away from X

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Nov 5 21:48:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> Thanks for that link, it does explain things a lot better. I think /. likes to alarm people, and they certainly did this
> time.

People have been complaining about X on Slashdot for a long time.

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/05/29/0024242

You may remember Berlin (later renamed Fresco) which was supposed to
completely replace X and had a bit of hype for a while:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresco_(computing)

Ultimately, it went nowhere.

I wouldn't worry too much about this latest attempt.  X is really
entrenched so anything that could possibly unseat it will have to be
significantly better, and it certainly won't happen overnight.

> But I don't think I want Shuttleworth deciding what my "user experience" should be. Ubuntu takes a LOT, and gives back
> little to the community.

I think that's a very unfair characterization.  Ubuntu puts out a lot
of open source code available for the taking.  If it's not something
you're interested in, that's fine, but to say they don't give anything
back is really untrue.

Eric