[mythtv-users] Hard drives (For video only) in idle state issue

mythtv at blandford.net mythtv at blandford.net
Fri Nov 5 17:50:01 UTC 2010

On 11/05/2010 10:44 AM, Kevin Wambsganz wrote:

> Hi All,
> For some time, 6 months, I've had my 3 hard drives for video only, go
> into standby/idle (spin down) state after about 5 mins of idle time.
> But it seems when I attempt to watch a TV recording, I always get a
> timeout. The second attempt works OK. Also, when I pause in the middle
> of a recording for more than 5 mins, mythTV/video freezes. Sometimes it
> comes back to the menu and sometime I have to force shutdown the frontend.
> Does anyone put their hard drives in idle with MythTV. I can provide
> more info if we think this could be an issue.
> I'm running 0.23 fixes on suse 11.1.
> Thanks,
> Kevin

I put mine to sleep after 30 minutes.  That seems to be enough time that
I am not impacted while watching recordings.

It does take a little while for the disks to spin up and occasionally I
have to start a show twice because it times out.

I have been thinking about ways to spin the disks up when the frontend
wakes up, or when there is lirc activity on the backend/frontend setup,
but it hasn't bothered me enough yet to do anything about it.

Michael