[mythtv-users] BBC One HD to start in test at least on 3rd November.

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Nov 5 16:23:02 UTC 2010

On 5 Nov 2010, at 15:27, David Knight wrote:

> On Wed, November 3, 2010 3:06 pm, Andre wrote:
>> It seems safe now, today's epg (eit anyway) doesn't have any shows in it
>> until they launch, assuming that all goes well it should be ok. I've spent
>> some hours changing a load of BBC HD only rules to be any channel so I
>> don't miss anything.
>>
>> I seem to be getting BBC ONE and BBC ONE HD scheduled for the same show,
>> which I'm happy with for now, just in case they have some "issues". It's
>> likely I will just disable BBC One when One HD is running nicely rather
>> than making them all the same to resolve the dual scheduling. When ITV HD
>> launched I just deleted the regular ITV, don't need that anymore :-))
>>
>> Andre
>>

> I still have both ITV and ITV HD and have never had any problems with the
> program recording from both channels simultaneously. I have set all HD
> channels to priority +1 within the channel configuration so that if the
> tuner is available I get the programme in HD otherwise it will record the
> SD version, which prevents me from missing anything if I have more than
> one HD programme scheduled for the same time (I've only got one satellite
> tuner at the moment).
>
> Also have a dual tuner DVB-T card receiving Freeview on the same system.
>
> Do you have more than one satellite tuner Andre?

Yes, far too many, 2x DVBS, 3x DVBS2 & 2xDVBT, I work on the principle of having lots of stuff recorded and available so I can watch what I'm in the mood for not what the broadcasters choose to air.

I hadn't tried adding some priority to the HD channels after various dire warnings on here about futzing with priorities without studying the docs for a least a couple of seasons and acing the written exam ;-) but that sounds like it should make the difference.

I don't have any reservations about deleting SD channels, I find there is so much TV and so little spare time that with very very few exceptions if it's not in HD I'll just watch something else that is. With so many of the SD channels in the UK being sub SD resolution and excruciatingly low bit rate even the upscaled HD looks miles better. EVEN when the BBC insist on broadcasting sub HD resolution with heavy handed compression.

I do have a 90" projected screen though so HD is a necessity not a luxury :-)