[mythtv-users] Disappointed by 0-24

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 15:48:59 UTC 2010

So - mythtv used to be like a hobby.  A version upgrade was a major
exercise.  Lots of downtime, hair pulling, and googling.  Inevitably
sound didn't work, video playback was messed up and my wife wanted to
kill me for messing with a working system.  But what fun!

Yesterday I upgraded to 0-24-fixes.  svn'd the source to my fedora
backend and two ubuntu frontends.  Compiled on those three.  Stopped
backend, make install, restarted backend.  Quick mythtv-setup to
upgrade database.  Half an hour later everything is running perfectly
as before.  Boring - where's the excitement?

So, then did my two OSX backends.  Ah-ha - hit a snag, finally.
Unfortunately got it sorted out in a few seconds - saw the line number
osx-packager.pl failed at, and realised at line 439 it says after 0-23
you need to delete the check. Quickly deleted those lines and both OSX
compiles worked perfectly.

So - very, very impressed how smoothly the upgrade went - Fedora,
Ubuntu and OSX all done within an hour.  Only one small speedbump on
the osx-packager.pl script.

Thanks to all the devs!  But now I need a new hobby.... :-)