[mythtv-users] Is it worth while to stop/start mythtv nightly?

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 14:19:25 UTC 2010

On 5 November 2010 13:43, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently started doing a cron job that stops and starts mythtv nightly -
> My thoughts we're memory leaks etc... and just getting a clean stop start daily.

I believe that many people leave the mythboxes running for weeks.

If you search this list for issues with memory leaks I don't think
you'll find much to worry about.

> Noticed there was a recorded show that had two entries.  Was thinking
> something was wrong.  Then remembered the cron job.

For that reason I wouldn't recommend blindly shuting mythtv down at
any fixed time(out of interest, what made it start up again?)

> I also do nightly myth fill database.  I'm not sure if this stops
> mythtv from recording/watching because I'm never up at that time.

It doesn't, though if your machine is already heavily [over]loaded
with user jobs the extra activity can have adverse results on
recording or playback.

> So I'm wondering if I should combine these processes and just run from
> a command line(cron job).  I believe /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase will do
> this.
>
> Or if it's not necessary at all.

I'd recommend having mythtv shutdown on idle and wake-up for
recordings, particularly if you have a single combined
backend/frontend.