[mythtv-users] Is it worth while to stop/start mythtv nightly?

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 13:43:34 UTC 2010

I recently started doing a cron job that stops and starts mythtv nightly -

59 2 * * * root  ( service mythtv-backend stop )
0 3 * * * root  ( service mythtv-backend start )

My thoughts we're memory leaks etc... and just getting a clean stop start daily.

Noticed there was a recorded show that had two entries.  Was thinking
something was wrong.  Then remembered the cron job.

I also do nightly myth fill database.  I'm not sure if this stops
mythtv from recording/watching because I'm never up at that time.

So I'm wondering if I should combine these processes and just run from
a command line(cron job).  I believe /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase will do
this.

Or if it's not necessary at all.

Any input?