[mythtv-users] recording stutter with PVR-150

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Fri Nov 5 12:25:55 UTC 2010

On 11/05/2010 03:49 AM, David Watkins wrote:
>> I've tried viewing the video source directly ...
>>
>> mplayer /dev/video0
>> cat /dev/video0>  test.mpg
>>
>> ... and still see the jitter.
>>
>> I've tried using the composite connection on the card as well and I'm
>> getting see the same issues. I posted on mythtvtalk
>> (http://www.mythtvtalk.com/recordings-skipping-pvr-150-a-13937/) last
>> week -- the only response was that the card could be going bad.
>

> Presumably you've tried plugging the S-Video straight into a TV, to
> make sure your STB isn't going bad?

That's a great idea.

Another idea would be to check the bitrates of the recordings before and
after you started having the problem.  Maybe you changed recording
profiles and the system can't handle the higher bitrate?

I run Fedora, but I would guess the old ivtv driver utils are still
rolled into the current v4l2-ctl program on Mythbuntu.  You can use that
to check current settings on your card.

v4l2-ctl -l will give you current settings of the card.  I would pay
particluar attention to the values for video_bitrate and video_peak_bitrate.

Also check to see if your recording profiles in MythTV somehow changed.