[mythtv-users] Multiplexing vs multiple cards

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 16:57:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Douglas Peale
<Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 11/04/2010 05:32 AM, Greg Oliver wrote:
>> I have found that real-time comm-flagging (up to 6 simultaneous) is a
>> lot less intensive on the system than playing catch up.
>
> Do you know if the real-time commercial flagging happens to the stream before it gets written to the disk? If so, it would
> explain the performance improvement, eliminating the read from the disk that offline commercial flagging must do.

I believe the slight delay imposed on the real-time commflagging means
you are reading from the disc again, but if your CPU is capable of
commflagging at faster than real-time your not reading from the disc
all that often since the data just isn't there yet.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!