[mythtv-users] 0.23 [26863] backend stops responding to some requests but continues to record as scheduled?

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 21:57:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not going to comment on the politics, but quite a few years ago
> when I first started becoming involved with MythTV the dev's made it
> clear that all potential bugs be vetted through the users list before
> moving on to trac or the dev list. I assume this hasn't changed?

Things that are "clearly" bugs... you might want to see if they are
already reported.  Something that is very clearly crashing the
frontend or backend or wedging it like this is a bug.  There's not
much question about that.  But before going and just putting a bug
report, doing some due diligence is quite useful to all.  If someone
else has the same bug, you're best off just waiting to see how/when it
gets fixed.  If it's something new, then maybe reporting it here if
you aren't sure it's a bug, etc makes sense.  However, when it's
already been reported both here and on trac...  not much point, is
there?

> Granted, they won't
> always be caught, but instead of incitement, why not look up the email
> he referenced, and reply to it with either "report it to track" or
> "looks like bug #1234"?

I could do that, yes.

Anyways, back to the original issue.  This is being looked at, and
your backtrace may be handy while scratching our heads.  We may need
more input as time goes on too.

Anyways, I also need a beer :)