[mythtv-users] 0.23 [26863] backend stops responding to some requests but continues to record as scheduled?

James Crow crow.jamesm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 20:54:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
>> And the reports start to mount.  Check the archives.  I even posted a
>> stack trace of what the backend was doing during one of these "continues
>> to record but not do much else" situations with absolutely no response
>> to it at all.  The backtrace and my report of this problem are in the
>> thread "backend deadlocked: MythSocket(9ba1fc0:11): readStringList:
>> Error, timed out after 7000 ms".
>
> OK, I hate to be a jerk... but...
>
> This mailing list is NOT a bug-reporting venue.  We have trac for
> that.  There are several bugs that seem to be related to this issue
> that are open right now in trac and that are getting a fair amount of
> developer attention.  Whining about it in the -users mailing list is
> not the same as actually reporting a bug properly.  We do try to catch
> reports here, but with the massive quantity of stuff flowing through
> this mailing list, you can understand why things easily get missed.
>
> We have a centralized place for bug reports.  Please use it.

If you are able, I would suggest trying the 0.24 RC builds. I was
experiencing these same problems until I upgraded to trunk (and a
certain patch made it into trunk).  My MBE was locking up at least
once a day. Now I restart my MBE only when updating to the newest
trunk build (about once per week is my current update schedule). The
only bug remaining that affects me is I am unable to watch software
encoded MPEG4 files from my frame grabbers. Of course that input is
the lowest priority and almost never gets used.

You can see the open bugs against 0.24 here:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/report/3 It looks like there are currently
14.

Cheers,
James