[mythtv-users] 0.23 [26863] backend stops responding to some requests but continues to record as scheduled?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Nov 3 20:39:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 16:28 -0400, Steven Adeff wrote:
> interesting occurance I've noticed lately. my mythbackend will cease
> to respond to any of the frontends, mythtv-status, or in mythweb show
> the recordings list, the status page, or the upcoming recordings page,
> but according to the log and files created it continues to record
> scheduled recordings.

And the reports start to mount.  Check the archives.  I even posted a
stack trace of what the backend was doing during one of these "continues
to record but not do much else" situations with absolutely no response
to it at all.  The backtrace and my report of this problem are in the
thread "backend deadlocked: MythSocket(9ba1fc0:11): readStringList:
Error, timed out after 7000 ms".

> anyone have any idea what's going on or a way to "wake" up the backend
> without canceling any current recordings?

In my experience you just gotta wait it out until it's idle and then
restart it.  Very sucky.  Really drives the WAF down hard.  "What do you
mean we can't watch anything?" or "why was this recording interrupted
and split into two files?" (when you do interrupt recordings to restart
in order to try to keep the short-term WAF up in return for some
long-term WAF pain -- as she tries to watch something in two files with
a minute or two missing between them).

b.