[mythtv-users] Anyone heard of a remote KVM/Display device for Mythboxes/Linux?

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 10:03:39 UTC 2010

On 1 November 2010 20:09, Mark <markhsa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just like many, I sometimes bork my own machine, or have hardware fail
> etc... when away from Mythtv or Linux boxes.
> Has anyone heard of a device ( Like a raritan remove console ) that would
> allow remote server admin?
> Like the ability to reboot, power off/on a box and see the console on boot
> with keyboard?
>
> Does such a device exist?  Would sure be handy.

I looked at these some time ago.
Some are external devices that go inline on the power, keyboard, screen.
Some are included in new PCs. E.g. HP iLO and Dell DRAC.
You can get PCI cards that do the job also.

The problem I ran up against was the price.
They are essentially a whole embedded PC on a PCI card or similar,
which is why they cost so much.

If I need this functionality, I put 2 PCs next to each other and have
them act as KVM for each other.
I just put a video capture card in each one to capture the screen
output, and use cheap keyboard and mouse adapters.