[mythtv-users] DisplaySize = Full ?

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Tue Nov 2 02:56:37 UTC 2010

On 23/10/2010 11:11 a.m., Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 6:19 AM, mike at grounded.net<mike at grounded.net>  wrote:
>> Does anyone know what a composite TV display size would be?
>> When I start myth, the screen is always too small so I want to change it either in the front end Vertical Settings or the xorg.conf.
>>
>> Problem is, if I hard code it, can I still switch between different sizes when I'm watching composite or HDMI TV?
>
> I am not sure what you are asking, are you wanting to switch between
> composite out and hdmi out from your computer?
>
> Why? Stick to HDMI. Myth will scale SD to whatever resolution your X
> is running at.
>
> However, if you are wanting to use composite it will probably be best
> run at close to NTSC size, which is effectively means running at
> 640x480or 800x600.

Sorry I've been off line a bit with an email upgrade, interesting thread
this.

There are threads on multicast and multi-cast here also considering this
topic however they've not really concluded.

As Nick said VLC can multicast, so you can multicast a recording from
mythweb if you want, but then you need lots of Multicast capable
receivers all over the place....something not yet described in your
house, as well as a multicast LAN setup which is more than the average
home LAN.

I expect one can output H.264 over RF using a card, they are about, but
I do not recall anyone doing it here.  To make sense it would require
multiple H.264 capable clients, which SD TV's are not....   One is
better (cheaper) to use mthtv FE's.

I think what Mike is trying to (say and) do is to broadcast SD using a
RF modulator, with a VGA converter intermediary.  I also agree with the
comments about loss of visual quality, (which will likely become < SD
this way) but it seems Mike may accept that.

The second issue is the screen ratio, HD is generally widescreen and SD
is ...SD, so you'll end up displaying wide format in a SD screen,
depending how you want to scale it / crop it.

Also as has been stated one can have two cards in one box, but that
seems more tricky to setup and control, for me anyway.

Assuming you have a RF modulator I would recommend a mythtv FE that just
feeds the modulator direct, ie presumably composite out of the myth box
direct into the modulator (No VGA converter = significant loss of
quality step) and on to your SD tv's.  Remote control could be wifi
mythdroid or similar.  (Get a vdpau analogue out card, PCI is fine
presuming compatible motherboard chipset.)

The 2nd FE would feed HDMI into your projector with your GT220.

Do let us know.