[mythtv-users] Anyone heard of a remote KVM/Display device for Mythboxes/Linux?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 21:08:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 5:01 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> On 11/01/2010 04:31 PM, Mark wrote:
>
>> Tom Lichti wrote:

>>> If you have another linux box nearby you could redirect console to the
>>> serial port and watch it on the other box. Not fun to setup though.
>>>

> There have been comments from time to time on the list by people who are
> running mythtv in a virtual instance on a box. I understand that there are
> problems with getting this working...understandably! Some tuners are easy to
> get working, and others are NOT.
>
> But if you are not nearby to the box and *if* you can use a virtualized
> setup with your tuners, it might possibly be the answer. I am of course
> presuming that the problems you are experiencing are with the setup of the
> mythbox and not mythtv directly.
>
> Of course, one answer to that is to *stop fiddling with the box!* once you
> have it up and running. Set up another box to fiddle with, but leave the
> main box alone. If you don't touch it, no-one can say 'It wasn't boken but
> he frixxed it anyway'.
>
> Geoff
> Been there, done that, now they give me hoodies so I can hide my face!
>

> --
>             R. Geoffrey Newbury

We use Dell and HP IP KVMs here at work, they're all made by Avocent.
They're pretty pricey although you can occasionally find a cheap (cheap
being around $200) deal on eBay. They give you the functionality you're
looking for.

On another note, when building my Dell Precision workstation I noticed in
the BACS Broadcom Windows software that my Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx card MAY
have some sort of remote console functionality built into it. I spent an
hour or so poking around and wasn't able to really turn up much, but perhaps
those with better resources than I could find more information.