[mythtv-users] Anyone heard of a remote KVM/Display device for Mythboxes/Linux?

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 20:21:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Tom Lichti <redpepperracing at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:
>> On 11/1/2010 3:09 PM, Mark wrote:
>>>
>>> Just like many, I sometimes bork my own machine, or have hardware fail
>>> etc... when away from Mythtv or Linux boxes.
>>> Has anyone heard of a device ( Like a raritan remove console ) that would
>>> allow remote server admin?
>>> Like the ability to reboot, power off/on a box and see the console on boot
>>> with keyboard?
>>>
>>> Does such a device exist? Would sure be handy.
>>
>> There's always SSH. SSH is your best friend!
>
> The only thing I have seen is a Raritan or similar device, unless you
> are using an HP or similar server that has built in ILO capabilities.

There are lots of IP based kvm solutions, but unless you just sweat
cash, they are kind of pricey for home  :)

Quite a bit cheaper are ip based power switches you can put between
the wall and pc..  Someone posted one a while back on the list..  They
can be had for usually around ~$110 a port I have found..