[mythtv-users] UPnP, ripped DVD's, and the PS3

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 31 23:37:02 UTC 2010

On Monday, May 31, 2010 05:25:18 pm Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 5/31/2010 18:52, Brian Wood wrote:
> > It better, for over 175 watts consumed at idle, and closer to 185 playing
> > back. Might be cheaper to buy the DVDs than to pay the power bill :-)
>
> There.  Fixed that for you.

Hmmm. My Kill-a-Watt indicated 205 watts at idle, and 245-255 playing back an HD file. I was playing back under Linux,
using mplayer from the command line, playing an NFS-mounted file, not the Sony UPnP client, I'm not sure what if any
difference that would make.

This is an older unit, purchased soon after Terra-Soft announced Linux was available for the PS3, in fact, I purchased the
unit from TS with Linux pre-installed.

Newer units may well pull less power, I'm sure the "slim" unit does. Running the Sony OS instead of Linux might make a
difference, not sure about that. The installed hard drive might make a slight difference, but I'd think that would only be a
watt or two.

But in any case it's a lot of power to just play back a file.