[mythtv-users] Is changing the source really necessary during LiveTV?

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Sun May 30 14:12:42 UTC 2010

----- mythtv at derdev.com wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2010 12:41:52 +0000 (UTC), Nasa <nasa01 at comcast.net>
> wrote:
> > ----- mythtv at derdev.com wrote:
> >
> >> I have 2 tuners as Comcast DTAs for SD.  I have 2 tuners as HDHRs
> for
> >> the
> >> HD local broadcasts - signal also from Comcast.  I am using only
> one
> >> (1)
> >> SchedulesDirect listing right now for both.
> >>
> >> I'm able to watch LiveTV in SD or HD, but I must switch sources
> using
> >> the
> >> LiveTV Menu which is very low WAF to have to "know" which source
> is
> >> providing the channels.
> >>
> >> What I want Myth to do is to provide a single integrated program
> guide
> >> and
> >> to choose the "best", available tuner source for the program
> selected
> >> for
> >> LiveTV.  In my vision of "correct", the user works from a
> system-wide
> >> program guide and views available programs via the "best"
> available
> >> tuner
> >> for that show.  MythTV would be configured how to make this
> decision.
> >> The
> >> users wouldn't have to know a thing about how all the hardware is
> >> tied
> >> together.
> >>
> >> This would allow Mythtv to deal with scheduled recordings that
> occupy
> >> tuners.  It will - most importantly - deal with the current
> complexity
> >> of
> >> users having to know something about inputs vs. channels.  And,
> this
> >> would
> >> allow me to add 1-2 HD Comcast tuners that will provide more
> choice
> >> yet
> >> more complexity concerning the "best", available tuner.
> >>
> >> Am I an idiot for missing a key piece of the configuration?  Did I
> do
> >> it
> >> backwards by having a single channel listing for multiple tuners
> >> (tuner
> >> types)?
> >
> > Yes, the problem is created by using a singe channel listing for
> all
> your
> > tuners.
> >
> >  I think there's a key piece of misconfiguration in my current
> >> kit
> >> since Myth cannot tell which channels are "bound" to which tuners,
> so
> >> maybe
> >> I've created the problem.  HELP please.
> >>
> > Create 2 listings -- one HD/SD and one SD only and apply to the
> > appropriate tuners.
> [...]

Question 1: Yes
Question 2: how will you get the programming from the HD tuner into
your myth box?  Let's assume HDPVR (for illustration).  You would
then have 3 different lineups.  SD channels(analog), HD channels broadcast
in the clear(HDHR), and All channels (HDPVR).  Scheduledirect only allows
for 2 listings per user (if I recall).  Use Scheduledirect to provide
an analog listing and a complete listing.  Use the complete listing to
create a third listing (removing analog and encrypted channels).  The last
part I haven't tried, so maybe some one else on the list can comment on it...