[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Michael Van Donselaar michael-list at vandonselaar.org
Sat May 29 17:15:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 25 May 2010 10:53:22 -0700, you wrote:

>On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Scott Alfter <scott at alfter.us> wrote:
>
>> I just knocked together some shell scripts that transcode recordings and
>> dump
>> them onto a NAS box that serves them up over HTTP or UPnP.  I can view
>> these
>> recordings on my iPhone with either Safari or PlugPlayer; an iPad should
>> offer
>> similar functionality.  I have all recordings transcoded for streaming over
>> the
>> LAN automatically, so that the iPhone can serve as a "poor man's frontend"
>

>I'm doing something similar with a MythTV add-on I wrote called
>MythPodcaster (http://code.google.com/p/mythpodcaster/).  MythPodcaster uses
>FFMpeg to  transcode many of my recordings into several output encodings.
>Some of those encodings use the Apple HTTP Live Streaming format, which
>enables automatic stream switching to adapt to changing bandwidth.
>MythPodcaster renders RSS feeds that are easy to browse within Safari on the
>iPhone and iPad.

Or even easier to subcribe in iTunes and sync to your iPad.

Scott:  Thank you for such an awesome package!  I found it when I was
googling for ffmpeg recipes for transcoding.

I had planned to manually transcode some of my favorite shows, but
after 10 minutes of installing and configuring MythPodCaster, I simply
sync in the morning, and I have last night's shows on my iPad.

After a bit of experimentation, I think this is my preference for an
iPad:

<encoderArguments>-vcodec libx264 -vpre hq -vpre ipod640 -b 900k
-acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ac 2 -ar 44100 -s 720x480 -threads 0 -f ipod
-y</encoderArguments>