[mythtv-users] Little band of distortion on top of some SD LiveTV playback

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Sat May 29 00:40:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 16:42 -0700, Ross Campbell wrote:
> >> *Some* SD stations on LiveTV have band of static/distortion at the top of
> >> the screen - a few pixels in height.
> >
> > Try setting Vertical Scaling to 2.  Worked for me for
> > playback of recordings of what you're describing.
> >
> > See: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/437565
>
> Doh! All those years of traning my brain to ignore those top two rows
> of VBI data... Would be nice if there were some way crop the VBI bits
> off of SD broadcasts only without losing 2 rows of dots from HD
> recordings. Is there any easy way to define a unique vertical scaling
> setting that would only impact SD resolution and aspect ratio
> recordings?

Hey Ross;

Guess I should have added a link to Trac 8088 in the article, its:

   http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8088

and I created a Playback Group that has Vertical Scaling set to 2 for
shows that have the VBI issue.  Call the group VBIStopper or whatever
and only add it to shows that need it.  I only record a few that do.

I'll post a question in the Greatly Enhanced Playback Group thread
asking if Trac 8088 can be added now that 0.23 is out.

Bill Meek