[mythtv-users] Cleaning my DB?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri May 28 17:33:55 UTC 2010

Bill Bogstad wrote:

> One issue that I have had with deleting tuners/video sources is that
> all of my old recordings lose
> their channel identification information.  (Admittedly this is a minor
> aesthetic issue.) The recorded table still has a chanid, but the
> channel table no longer has an entry for it.

A good point, especially as those chanids may get reused for different channels
as the providers shuffle things around. Perhaps the database ought to also be
saving, for example, callsign. That's going to be (human) identifiable, and it
potentially allows recordings to be remapped when chanids change.

>  If I'm no longer going to record using a particular tuner/video
> source, but still want old recordings to list a channel what is the
> correct way to switch to new tuners/video sources?  Should I just
> never delete video sources?   Are there potential problems with having
> unused video sources?   In particular, if no tuner is attached to a
> video source will mythfilldatabase ignore that source or do I have to
> do something else to stop downloads from occurring?

Mythfilldatabase will fill sources that don't have tuners associated with them.
I currently use them (in the UK) to provide me with 14 days of listings for my
Virgin cable service. (I used to be able to record off this until my PVR250 went
south.) Although I can't use it for recording, it's a useful planning reference.

--

Mike Perkins