[mythtv-users] Series and episode numbers in recorded TV using Freeview in UK

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 28 14:18:07 UTC 2010

On 05/27/2010 09:43 AM, Simon Kiteley wrote:
> Hi, I'm in the UK recording freeview and would like to know if there
> is any way of getting series and episode numbers included.
>
> I believe that programs are identified as the same series within the
> EIT so some way of grouping things of the same episode would be cool
> (but obviously would need a change made somewhere). Maybe if I knew
> how to get this information out of the database (if included) it might
> be as simple as updating a theme!
>
> Also it seems that Jamu will go and find this information and add it
> to videos but not recorded programmes. Is this true can someone point
> me to a helpful how-to?
>
> Or maybe a third way...
>
> Thanks in advance. MythTV is great but I'd like to do things like
> start recording a program at series 3 but not start watching until it
> when eventually series one is repeated maybe some time after! A
> feature I believe is in DirecTV DVRs.

MythTV does not store any information about season/episode sequence
number.  The closest we have is the syndicatedepisodenumber, which is
the made-up-by-series-producer identifier for the episode.  There is no
standardization of these numbers, so you'll have everything from:

093
0112
5938
D130
W2076
BDC137
707/708
1FG098
7ABF03
MI7173
MK106
FF08079
U30173

just to name a few.  Note that neither seriesid nor programid are the
sequence numbers, and even if you can interpret a sequence number from
some of your programid's, use of programid to determine sequence number
is an invalid approach that will fail more often than not.

If you have a listings source that provides series and episode sequence
numbers and you want that information available, you'll need to modify
the database schema to provide a location for the values, modify
mythfilldatabase to store the values, modify MythTV to pass the values
(which will need to be done in trunk, since there's been a refactor of
the ProgramInfo passing since 0.23), and modify MythTV to make that
value available for the theme (modify the program map and the theme XML
parsing).

Mike