[mythtv-users] OT: Why 3D TV won't work.

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu May 27 01:42:36 UTC 2010

On 5/26/2010 21:04, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 27 May 2010 03:29, Gabe Rubin<gaberubin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I don't think this is a fair comparison.  You are talking about
>> perceiving 3D from a 2D image or seeing 3D in a real 3D environment.
>> I would imagine the tricks to convince the eye and brain that
>> something is in 3D for the former is much different than the natural
>> way the brain has been trained through millions of years to perceive
>> 3D in the world around us.
>>
> I don't see why there would be some fundamental differences between
> looking at a real environment, and looking at a 3D TV

Because it's not a 3D TV, it's just one that displays two different
viewpoints.  Your eyes are hard-wired to adjust both focus and
convergence simultaneously.  Since '3D' TVs only adjust the convergence,
but not focus, you have to consciously work to keep focus constant,
which causes strain and headaches.