[mythtv-users] Another Mythmusic Idea: The Infinite Walkman

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Wed May 26 23:30:05 UTC 2010

On Tue, 25 May 2010, George Galt wrote:

> FYI -- and again, apologies for pointing to Squeezebox Server -- but
> there is an Android client that controls the server and appears to
> allow downloads of specific albums/tracks/etc:
> http://www.squeezecommander.com/

Very interesting. This led me to another project, AndroMote, A upnp client
that already talks to MythTV. And interestingly, on his web site
(http://www.andromote.de/) he has a poll for what feature people want next,
and one option is "Copy complete album to SD card".

I've now done a bunch of reading up on upnp, and while I'm not expert, it
seems a modified upnp client, coupled with either a modified server or a
server with apache and mod_cache in front of it, will work as the server.

Hopefully one of the devs that did the upnp code reads this, but here goes a
high-level overview. upnp from my reading works in 2 basic steps (4 if you
read the spec, but for these purposes 2).   A broadcast UDP service is used
to find hosts that have upnp services to offer. Then those services are
contacted via http on high-numbered ports, usin XML and SOAP requests.

The second part seems like it can be used as-is over the internet. The first
part could be repleaced with an XML page at a known URL you need to enter
into your Internet-PNP (to coin a phrase) device.  We just need to protect
all these http services, and HTTP Basic Auth will do the trick nicely.

So, we could make MythTV do this without modifying anything, by dumping the
Discovery informaiton to an XML file somewhere on the backends server,
protectged by Basic AUTH. Block normal access to the ports UPNP uses, stick
Apache/mod_proxy in front to provide auth to those ports, and I think that's
a working server.

So, what's wrong with this picture ?