[mythtv-users] IPad and mythtv.

Scott Kidder kidder.scott at gmail.com
Tue May 25 17:53:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Scott Alfter <scott at alfter.us> wrote:

> I just knocked together some shell scripts that transcode recordings and
> dump
> them onto a NAS box that serves them up over HTTP or UPnP.  I can view
> these
> recordings on my iPhone with either Safari or PlugPlayer; an iPad should
> offer
> similar functionality.  I have all recordings transcoded for streaming over
> the
> LAN automatically, so that the iPhone can serve as a "poor man's frontend"

I'm doing something similar with a MythTV add-on I wrote called
MythPodcaster (http://code.google.com/p/mythpodcaster/).  MythPodcaster uses
FFMpeg to  transcode many of my recordings into several output encodings.
Some of those encodings use the Apple HTTP Live Streaming format, which
enables automatic stream switching to adapt to changing bandwidth.
MythPodcaster renders RSS feeds that are easy to browse within Safari on the
iPhone and iPad.

--Scott Kidder