[mythtv-users] Another Mythmusic Idea: The Infinite Walkman

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Tue May 25 16:58:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, 25 May 2010, George Galt wrote:

> I realize this takes things outside the realm of MythMusic, but take a
> look at Softsqueeze (http://sourceforge.net/projects/softsqueeze/),
> which interfaces with Logitech's open source SqueezeBox Server
> software (http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/). I use this combination
> to stream my music from my server at home via SSH to my computer at
> work.

The model I am thinking of is specificly not streaming, but copying to local
storage. I've done streaming around my house, and found connections aren't
stable enough to really support it. Likewise, even driving aruond I get
periodic dropouts that would interrupt a stream.

So I guess my goal is to deal with the non-constant connection issue. Since
you can copy an entire album in last time then it takes to listen to one
song, copy as much as you can while you have a connection.  Plus -- people
tend to listen to their favorites over and over, so there is no reason to
stream it constantly. Then you can skip around, replay a song, even DJ and
mix tracks with the local files.

Jedi: You comment about a large drive would be ideal, but relize we are
talking about microSD cards on a phone. 16gig is generally want is
afordable. I'm not sure what my CD collection will be ripped, but I have at
least 50 DVDs full of MP3 of old radio shows I plan on putting on my server
once it's set for music.  So until they make 100g microSDs this isn't
practical.